Tuts 4 You

Anyone know about speedload or Windows enabler ?

tHRALL

Hi all,

While going through the internet, i came across Windows Enabler:

It is a small program that enables some 'grayed out' options in softwares. Is also supposed to enable some 'hidden' windows options... like create MS DOS startup disk for all drives and not just floppy drives...

Could not understand the working but the examples given on that page are interesting. Maybe applicable to our field...

_http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/speedload/Enabler.htm

Also by the same person is another program called speedload.

Again the concept sounds interesting but can someone tell me if or how it works ?

_http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/speedload/speedload.htm

Looking at SpeedLoad and the explanation given, it binds the imports to the exe and changes the ImageBase (relocates) of the dependencies so that they are not requiring the same ImageBase. (Dll & Ocx files)

To be quite honest, the 'gain' from employing such techniques is less pronounced than what it once was. The speed of PC's these days means that most of this stuff happens in the blink of an eye and gaining 0.2 of a second for loadtime isnt worth the hassles (read: file integrity checks.). The relocating which the Windows loader performs is a one time thing (per execution/load ofc), so once it has been done the dll exists as if it were meant to be at that ImageBase. Same goes with imports being initialized, the Windows loader works fast enough to resolve the imports at runtime, but i guess it is up to you if you want to use this product.

HR,

Ghandi

Looking at SpeedLoad and the explanation given, it binds the imports to the exe and changes the ImageBase (relocates) of the dependencies so that they are not requiring the same ImageBase. (Dll & Ocx files)

To be quite honest, the 'gain' from employing such techniques is less pronounced than what it once was. The speed of PC's these days means that most of this stuff happens in the blink of an eye and gaining 0.2 of a second for loadtime isnt worth the hassles (read: file integrity checks.). The relocating which the Windows loader performs is a one time thing (per execution/load ofc), so once it has been done the dll exists as if it were meant to be at that ImageBase. Same goes with imports being initialized, the Windows loader works fast enough to resolve the imports at runtime, but i guess it is up to you if you want to use this product.

HR,

Ghandi

Thanks, this clarifies a lot.... i was thinking it could be advantageous when the program needs many dlls, but such a small gain does make it useless...