Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
Teddy Rogers

‘Blackouts’ for users of pirated Windows...

Rate this topic

Teddy Rogers
Microsoft has begun deploying a new update to Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) for Windows XP Professional (the most pirated edition of XP), bringing it more in line with the changes made to WGA in Vista SP1. After logging into a copy of Windows XP that fails validation with this new version of WGA Notifications, the desktop background will change to solid black and, if changed, will return to black every 60 minutes. A translucent "ask for genuine Microsoft software" logo will also appear above the system tray. Both the black background and the logo will continue to appear as long as the copy is not genuine.

xp_wga.jpg

In addition to improving WGA's ability to detect circumvention methods for product activation, the update will also simplify the installation and updating process of the anti-piracy tool. Microsoft did research recently that showed that customers aware of WGA want an effortless method for installing and keeping WGA Notifications up-to-date. Only those who choose to install the latest version or future versions of WGA Notifications will have the new Windows Update install prompt (just a EULA confirmation prompt as opposed to an install wizard) and will have WGA automatically update itself to future versions.

An automatic updating WGA will probably cause Microsoft problems later on, but according to the software giant, customers want as little necessary interaction with WGA as possible. Killing WGA just keeps sounding better and better, doesn't it? Dream on my friends. If WGA is helping get pirates into court, Redmond isn't likely to change its stance.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft....xp-professional

Another article...

Starting Wednesday, users with pirated copies of Microsoft Corp's Windows XP Professional operating system (OS) on machines that are Internet-capable could find their computer displays going black and with no screen icons visible.

There are 8.6 million users of Win XP Pro in Malaysia and about three million are expected to suffer the “blackouts,” according to Microsoft Malaysia.

To continue working, the user would need to reset the machine’s desktop background. Everything will return to normal. But when 60 minutes are up, the black screen will reappear and the user must go through the whole process again.

This will keep happening until the user licenses the copy of Win XP Pro on the machine by going to a Microsoft reseller or getting a licence online at the www.microsoft.com/malaysia/genuine. Each licence costs RM580.

This initiative is part of Microsoft’s antipiracy campaign, dubbed Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA), aimed at educating users on the benefits of using genuine software, K.T. Ng, Microsoft Malaysia’s director of client business group, told The Star on Tuesday.

Win XP Professional was chosen for the antipiracy blitz because it is the most pirated version of Microsoft’s Win XP operating system. The other version is Windows XP Home, which is for home users.

This is the second time that Microsoft is needling users of pirated copies of its operating system to go legitimate. Two years ago, it sprang its WGA initiative on local users of Win XP Pro and Win XP Home.

That time, a pop-up message showed up whenever the PC with a pirated Windows OS was switched on, with the intention of shaming business and home users into getting legitimate copies. The message said “This copy of Windows is not genuine.”

It was quite successful. At that time, there were about 5.1 million pirated copies of Windows XP Pro and after the exercise, about two million of the copies were validated, said Microsoft Malaysia.

“We are encouraged by that response,” said Ng. "So this time, we have escalated the penalty to a black screen that reappears every hour until the user validates his or her copy of Win XP Pro.”

Datuk Badlisham Ghazali, chief executive officer of Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC), lauded the WGA campaign.

MDeC is caretaker of the country’s MSC Malaysia initiative, which is working to build up the nation’s knowledge economy.

“MDeC respects the rights of companies to protect their intellectual property. It’s a reminder that software piracy doesn’t pay, especially when Malaysians are themselves putting a lot of effort into creating original software,” he said.

Several users and industry pundits that The Star spoke to believe Microsoft is using its WGA campaign to herd business users into upgrading to its newest operating system, Windows Vista, which hasn’t garnered interest among companies because of its higher hardware requirements.

“Microsoft has stopped selling Win XP in the market, so you have to wonder why it is spending time and money to take down users of pirated copies of this OS,” said a PC user, who asked for anonymity. “Why isn’t it also targeting users who have pirated copies of Windows Vista?”

“So if I’m using a pirated copy of Vista at this time, I won’t be hassled? Got to wonder about that.”

Ng replied that the concern now is XP Pro, which is widely pirated. “Vista isn’t pirated as much. WGA is continuous and should there be a Vista piracy problem, we will address it down the road,” he said.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...&sec=nation

Ted.

HVC
“Microsoft has stopped selling Win XP in the market, so you have to wonder why it is spending time and money to take down users of pirated copies of this OS,” said a PC user, who asked for anonymity. “Why isn’t it also targeting users who have pirated copies of Windows Vista?”

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. I think we got a winner here, Johny!!!

A pathetic attempt from Microsoft to make users switch to Vista.

Why should i change to Vista, if all i need runs under XP?

Because of transparent windows? I run XP naked of themes anyway.

To me, this picture tells a lot about Vista. :rolleyes:

giantasssawthing.jpg

Edited by HVC (see edit history)

Loki

Difference is that I actually now want a giant *** saw thing.

HVC

Troubles at work, or is it just to ride it to the voting center? :P

Loki

Nah, just that nothing says 'dont feckin mess with me" like a giant *** saw.

It would also work well as a bird feeder.

Teddy Rogers

That "saw" is actually called a reclaimer and is most often found in the mining industry...

mining_continuous_excavater_mo.gif

Ted.

Blah

im hopin sum cracker will come across and make sum new fix FAST (wheres whiterat?? hehehe) to show MS that there wasting there time with this old os (old but still good i think)..they should just let it be and wait for the inevitable...

am i wrong? how much more $$ do they want out of people and time there wasting? they already are making people buy new pc's just to run all these new things coming out,etc...(like beta to vcr to dvd)

the only reason i use cracked xp IS because i bought the thing already when i got my laptop years back...after formating many times in the past,etc my key didnt work anymore.i just dont think its right..

:down:

Teddy Rogers

A few reasons for this... They are trying to force people out of using XP and in to purchasing Vista. There is still a very large illegal XP user base that are refusing to upgrade (partly because Vista is seen as difficult to pirate) so they are attempting to frustrate and make these people upgrade to legitimate copies... of Vista...

Ted.

cektop

I'm afraid they're not wasting time Blah. They're not that naive, and they know most of people will continue using XP, but if they get 10% XP users to upgrade... Ka-ching!

I vote for making W2k3 a workstation.

antrobs
I vote for making W2k3 a workstation.

I'm in! :cool:

aNtRoBs

cond0lence

Well, since I heared ETHO has left the building, this could create many worry XP user.

I guess they don't like that so many had downgraded, bad statistic M$?? Really so bad?

Blah

a friend of mine called me earlier who has a dual core pc etc,etc,etc..came with vista premium,etc...

he asked me if i knew how to downgrade from vista to xp pro..i dont cause i dont have vista or a dual core pc,etc..

so he called tech support and they told him to go out and buy another xp and that should do the trick..he has 2 other xp pro's cds from previous pc's but i guess it wont work..

not cool... :dry:

Teddy Rogers
he has 2 other xp pro's cds from previous pc's but i guess it wont work..

They may work, it just depends if they come as pre-installed XP CD's ie. they already have the drivers, custom software, etc setup already. This is a similar thing for my Acer notebook. However you should be able to take the serial number from the M$ sticker located on the machine or from the install CD or then use a clean copy of XP...

Ted.

What
However you should be able to take the serial number from the M$ sticker located on the machine or from the install CD or then use a clean copy of XP...

Yep, works all the time, my computer didnt come with the Windows cd, sure it had a partiton for reinstalling, but that got ****ed up somehow so I found someone with a Xp cd, I streamlined it with new service packs and burned it. I even call microsoft to "validate" the product (no internet on that machine), stupid answering thing is annoying as hell though, you never even talk to a person.

Edited by What (see edit history)

magicbright
Well, since I heared ETHO has left the building, this could create many worry XP user.

yes they have left the scene of one insecure user (or something like that) and i don't see yet any other similar group or so..

team ETH0 was regularly updating WGA / OGA fixes which were almost fully working (except some cases of ms office components) , and so people were calm down because they knew that with every new OGA / WGA by microsoft update team ETH0 also will make a fix for it , and now it's true that a lot of XP users would have to worry about that..

still there are some forums (like keznews) which has some clever people , and they have made working OGA / WGA fixes long ago , but now surely i'm not going to try the old fix (which was working for some previous OGA / WGA versions) , because as we can see , microsoft got really angry , and i don't want to risk.. team ETH0 , where are U , plz comeback !!! :)