Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
Blah

Microsoft Windows 7...

Blah

Rumours: Microsoft Windows 7 in 2009

Microsoft Corp. has dropped two strong hints in the past two days that the next version of its Windows operating system will arrive in 2009, shaving up to a year off previous expectations. It could also be a signal that Microsoft intends to cut its losses with Windows Vista, which has been poorly received or shunned by customers, especially large companies. Microsoft has long said it wants to release Windows 7 about three years after Vista, which was released to manufacturing in November 2006 but not officially launched until January 2007. Given Microsoft

Sonny27

Microsoft has just said that these more or less romours are not fact. The release of Windows "7" will not happen before 2010.

greetz

atom0s

Some other fun-facts about Windows 7 that makes it sound pretty interesting: (Could also be rumors.)

- Codenames: Blackcomb and Vienna

- Development timeframe: 3 years

- Release Date: Sometime during 2010

- Will be released with 32bit, 64bit, and server editions.

- Current releases are known as 'Milestones', Milestone 1 was released to close partners to Microsoft, while Milestone two is to be released sometime in April.

- Said to only take 10 minutes to install fresh.

Some interesting features that are 'leaked':

- Completely new Windows Media Player

- Pinable items to desktop from Start-menu and other folder locations.

- Updated versions of Word and Paint

Source and more info @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Various pictures of the said Windows 7: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...sa=N&tab=wi

Some of the pics are fake pictures of Vista, but others are real as they did show of Windows 7 at a conference a few times already.

buddhist

I'm more interested in word "Milestone".

Anyway, I don't like all versions after win2K.....

Killboy

Yay, charge another 200 bucks! For new drivers!

Honestly though, Vista is the biggest **** I've ever seen.

I have XP and Vista on my machine and XP is running flawlessly for almost one year now, booting and generally feeling as fast as right after installing.

Vista booted almost as fast in the beginning but after a few months it started booting for 5 minutes or something and constantly deactivating my USB hub for some reason. Apps slow down horribly all of a sudden, probably because one of the like 200 OS services running in the background thinks he has to check something on my hd, index some website or look for something in my home network.

I'm sick of this multimedia crap, "connect your PCs easier than before and share all your media", wtf I just want a decent, stable OS, I dont need any of that network readyboost network sharing preinstalled msn ****.

And I especially don't want a new OS that looks like Vista, feels like Vista, behaves like Vista BUT IS SO MUCH BETTER!

human

i like news in win7 but hate new taskbar. wtf is that.

good things are better preview of window, now multi window support, gpu acceration of code.

native cuda in windows for apps?

hope it will be not so big as vista, taking useless space.

for old versions and backups of every file that you will never again use. restore or downgrade.

Blah

the only thing "vista-like" i got is the sound pack i grabbed sumplace...i like the way it starts and shuts down,etc,etc much better now..hehee

beta obviously..

Microsoft.Windows.7.32Bit.Build.6801.DVD-WinBeta

Release Date

Edited by Blah (see edit history)

Teddy Rogers
The executive in charge of delivering Windows 7, the next version of Windows, made an appeal this week to developers to put in extra effort to write 64-bit versions of their applications as well as 32-bit programs to run on the new operating system.

"Please, please develop for 64-bit ... we think a lot of people are going to run in 64-bit with Windows 7 … So do everything you can to bring your code up to speed on 64-bit," Steven Sinofsky, Microsoft senior vice president of Windows and Windows Live engineering, told attendees at the company's Professional Developers Conference (PDC) in Los Angeles.

The majority of new PCs sold today have 64-bit processors but are still running 32-bit operating systems, including Windows Vista x86. That looks as if it may be about to change.

Indeed, some analysts, and definitely Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) officials, are anticipating a point around the scheduled delivery of Windows 7 in late 2009 or early 2010 when the move to 64-bit desktop applications may reach a tipping point.

If they are that concerned about 64bit support and applications they would go the way of developing a pure 64bit OS and not waste time with 32bit versions. But Microsoft will be worried they will miss out on the niche markets effecting their revenue and other OS's encroaching in their dominated market place :)

Nice to see ReactOS is not too far away from going to beta stage (currently at ReactOS 0.3.7) and there are development plans for a 64bit version:

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Ted.

Baxter

I've had Windows7 installed as the primary OS on my notebook for a week..

Extremely stable, fast and an incrediblestep forward on Vista system performance.

Hard to believe this is only an alpha.. way too stable.

As i said, it is the primary OS, all apps are installed as are drivers for notebook.

Very, very impressive.. you can liken 7 to Vista, as what XP was to 2000...

Great to see MS getting back on track. :)

Also pretty impressed with the Internet Explorer V8 beta it comes with... it flys compared to IE7.0..

I've got mine, cracked, desktop watermark removed and superbar enabled.. very sexy! :)

Baxter

Be sure to read the developers guide, it will assist in coming from a position of knowledge when discussing 7 with your friends.. :D

_http://rapidshare.com/files/161710908/Windows_7_Developer_Guide.pdf

Windows 7 provides a highly productive developer platform and tools that

deliver on core operating system fundamentals. Windows 7 builds upon the

Windows Vista platform, giving developers the power to build applications

that are compatible with both platforms while limiting application compatibility

issues.

Windows 7 dramatically improves performance and power

management so that you can create applications that optimize the mobile

experience.

As a result, your applications will be more visually appealing,

easier to create, and support a wider range of international standards.

Advances have also been made in global support, accessibility, and

application deployment.

Performance

Windows 7 maximizes hardware energy efficiency and scalability while

maintaining high performance. Energy efficiency is improved through

reduced background activity and new support for the trigger starting of

system services.

Windows 7 also offers improvements in the Windows kernel

that enable applications and services to scale efficiently between platforms.

Performance of many features and APIs is improved in Windows 7 versus

Windows Vista.

For example, driver performance on servers is optimized by

new user-mode and kernel-mode topology APIs. Graphics rendering is

considerably smoother and faster. Accessibility performance is also

significantly faster than before.

Building Power-Efficient Applications

Building energy efficient applications that take advantage of the latest power

management technologies is a significant challenge developers are facing

today. Typically, processor and device manufacturers get all of the attention

as their latest offerings are measured and benchmarked. However, a single

application can easily prevent the latest generation of hardware from

realizing its energy-efficiency potential.

For example, a single application that

increases the platform timer resolution can decrease battery life by 10

percent.

Extended operation on battery power and the use of energy efficient

technologies are key requirements for today’s developers.

Windows 7 greatly reduces the number of activities that the operating system performs that

prevent use of power-saving modes. It also supports the trigger-starting of

system services to enable processors to become idle more often and stay

idle longer, which decreases power consumption.

In addition, Windows 7 takes advantage of the latest energy-efficient hardware, including network

adapters, storage devices, and graphics cards.

Edited by Baxter (see edit history)

magicbright

many people still prefer winxp rather than vista for lots of reasons , but what about this ?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-SP1-Infection-Rate-48-8-Less-Than-That-of-XP-SP3-97055.shtml

i believe that every single OS - xp or vista or win7 have their own advantages / disadvantages (more or less) , just go through google - lots of articles and comparisons (maybe less stuff about win7 so far) , lots of comments from IT techs / devs / and so on , but finally i hope that win7 will be the greatest and most stable OS ever !

Windows 7 to arrive by 2009 holiday season

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10733

i can't wait for the final version , but it will take some time.. :)

Edited by magicbright (see edit history)

antrobs

I've tried windows 7 (m3) for me it's good than Vista, and i've heared that this OS is last one to ship with 32bit.

Killboy

You can hardly buy non-64bit CPUs anymore and by the time Windows 7's successor is out, the system specs will be so high that there wont be any 32bit CPUs fullfilling them :)

I guess.

Blah

recently i was in a store and they only had 2 laptops with 32bit...

looks like its on its way out...

LaFarge

Well, its kind of inevitable for M$ to move to 64bit completely, thus rejecting anything that has 32bit code in it. As KillBoy said, the system specs nowadays can run ANY OS with ALL gfx improvements and widgets available for such.

Hardware prices are comming down eventually, so we can upgrade every year to a 35-40% better PC (when it comes to overall performace), thus making the performance as a main problem in windows is really unnecessary.

1. Windows WILL ALWAYS become slower over the time, its just the way it is, accept it

2. Overall performance of a PC is 90% limited by hardware capabilities of your HDD, so...

My box atm runs stable with XP SP3 and ESS running in bg, no infections whatsoever, ever since SP3 entered final build i have it installed and works like a charm.

If anyone hates all those crappy services that run in background, u can get BlackVipers's service guide, or install this build of XP:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4459205/Windows_XP_Performance_Edition_SP3_-_October_2008

I got it here, and it runs flawlesy, boots like lightning, and remains a low memory consumer. Basicaly it has removed all unnecessary services/features that "normal" user would never use or see its effect with normal usage, as for movies/music/games/.

Windows will grow up to a rather complete solution for any of us, we may not like its present state, but i believe M$ will work out the kinks...

Just my 2 cents...

Teddy Rogers

If you want a really small version of XP try MicroXP. It is probably about as small as you can get without completely breaking the use of Windows...

Ted.

D1N

haha love it... The commentator said... "First we are going to install it and see what happens" reminds me of the time Bill Gates was demoing Windows 98 and it crashed on him in front of his audience. Good times! Windows plug and pray... On another note I love the job they did with MS Paint! Looks real good.

fail!!! :lol:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2542580036602389550
Edited by D1N (see edit history)

neoLeech

I'm hoping windows 7 will be great

also to anyone who got a vista rc1 key from the beta program that key also works with betas of windows 7

Edited by neoLeech (see edit history)

cektop

Could someone please explain to me how OS performance is measured? I don't see OS 'performance' as important point when making a decision, unless it significantly influences speed of applications that run on top of it. If drivers, codecs, apps are written properly, their performance should be same on all NT based Windows OSs (XP-W7).

So, what are the rules? Boot time? IE load time? File copying? I don't care about any of those. Oracle increases my boot time 3 minutes so it doesn't matter, I might go get a coffee in that time. I don't use IE, and I use Total Commander.

So, if it's stable, easy to use, and pleasant for my eyes I like it. Only thing I hate about new OSs is that they bring no real improvement and cost you 100$ every 2 years.

Only 3 products worth praise in MS history are Win3.11, Windows NT and Visual Studio .NET. All were a result of buying someone out, rest are sequels who's only purpose is to make money.

Killboy

Generally, I consider OS performance to be boot time and overall responsiveness.

I don't want to wait 5 minutes until I can actually use Vista while it takes just 2 on XP.

Copying files is another weird thing with Vista, it sometimes takes 10(!) seconds until explorer starts copying, never had that on XP.

I do see that XP is older and doesnt have a fancy DX9 GUI, but the difference is too big if you ask me...

Edited by Killboy (see edit history)

Teddy Rogers
From startup to the way it handles hardware resources available, power consumption and applications, Windows 7 has been applauded as delivering a level of performance superior to that of Windows Vista, even as early as pre-Beta Build 6801. As far as performance goes, the RTM of Windows Vista left much to be desired, just to use an euphemism, but following the implementation of Service Pack 1, the operating system is at least offering a glimpse promised with the gold release of the client. For Window 7, the promise is that the operating system will maintain a high level of performance despite Microsoft's tweaks designed to optimize hardware energy efficiency and scalability.

“Energy efficiency is improved through reduced background activity and new support for the trigger starting of system services. Windows 7 also offers improvements in the Windows kernel that enable applications and services to scale efficiently between platforms. Performance of many features and APIs is improved in Windows 7 versus Windows Vista. For example, driver performance on servers is optimized by new user-mode and kernel-mode topology APIs. Graphics rendering is considerably smoother and faster. Accessibility performance is also significantly faster than before,” Microsoft explained.

According to the Redmond company, the power management technologies of the next iteration of the Windows client have been kicked up a notch. At the same time, there is only so much that Microsoft can do in the absence of support from software developers building solutions designed to run on top of the operating system. The software giant revealed that ultimately the responsibility of ensuring that Windows 7 and the underlying hardware meet their respective energy-efficiency potential lies with software developers. In this context, Microsoft pointed out that developers had the necessary infrastructure and tools in the client to tone down as much as possible the energy impact of their applications.

“Windows 7 greatly reduces the number of activities that the operating system performs that prevent use of power-saving modes. It also supports the trigger-starting of system services to enable processors to become idle more often and stay idle longer, which decreases power consumption. In addition, Windows 7 takes advantage of the latest energy-efficient hardware, including network adapters, storage devices, and graphics cards,” the company added.

Among the enhancements coming with Windows 7 are trigger-start capabilities. With a great impact on reducing startup times, trigger-start capabilities ensure that services needn't start automatically as the computer will boot. In this regard, Microsoft has made it possible for developers to start a service on a certain trigger. Windows 7 is optimized with a range of preconfigured services which are just waiting for developers to take advantage of them. This is done via the Windows 7 Service Control Manager.

“Common trigger events for services include: Device-class interface arrival: Start a service only when a certain type of device is present or attached on the system; Domain join: Start a service only if the system is joined to a Windows domain; Group policy change: Start a service automatically when group policies are refreshed on the system; and IP address arrival: Start a service only when the system is connected to the network,” the company stated.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-P...ned-98924.shtml

Ted.

human

killboy what ****ty pc you have that xp starts 2 minutes. on mine after bios when i press enter to boot xp(default) and vista with 10 sec delay in OS choice, it boots in 33 seconds to login screen.

1 second to enter pass,1 second to load desktop, 0.5 second to load total commander.

with vista and win7 its a joke, it loads fast as xp, but doesnt run why?

1st animated logo

2nd vista loads most of services and drivers after login

3rd win7 loads even more things after login

4th i see desktop but total commander starts after 5 seconds

5th during that and after for about 10 seconds hdd led is still constantly red

ps.

teddy on this picture you are not photogenic :P

Edited by human (see edit history)

Killboy

It was just a general figure to compare the two, I haven't measured the exact time it takes to boot up ;)

Just let me find my stop watch ... :rolleyes:

Vista takes more than twice as long to actually reach the desktop than XP, that is without all the services loading etc, I excluded that.

Teddy Rogers
teddy on this picture you are not photogenic :P

This is one of my favourite photos! What is not to like about it? :D

Ted.