Tuts 4 You

What Is Trhe Deal With Securom? + Other Stuff

Blah

hey all...

what is the deal with securom and why is it that only a rare few can defeat it??

i asked this before in other places but wondering (since im not a cracker) why is it so much differant than regular appz and such these days??

i understand why groups wont release there knowledge to the outside and all of that but would getting a tut on this protection just blow away the art or what??

i recall Reloaded released there "how to" on starforce ways back which im sure enlightened others and all but was anything really learned by it?? (again im not a cracker)

couldnt those old sec tuts out there shed light on whats up these days??

theres so many talenetd crackers that visit here and other places or are members etc (tsrh,icu,tsrh,cim,etc) that would be interested to see there outlook on such protections...why are these game groups the only ones that do this stuff?? (are they insiders in the business or something??)

damn thats alot of questions..hehehehhe

cheers

B

Edited by Blah

Well I think of it in a lazy mind, why do I need to crack this I have the game disk. Also its not like a regular software protection scheme where you can go out to any website and come across it. If it was everywhere like, lets say Armadillo, there would be tutorials and tools galore. I have never even seen it so I cant speak of its difficulty. I game on consoles which is more impossible to reverse.

the old sec tuts are exactly that.... old...

version 7 keeps changing, the last public info on it was the ar team stuff on 'complete ownage' of 7.34, which wasn't complete ownage, but did give an insight...

and the 'scene war' is about cracks which just dump and compromise the securom vm vs. 'true' clean cracks... im of the opinion that the crack should be free of the protection and not use portions of it etc.. but then, im a purist...

and the 'scene war' is about cracks which just dump and compromise the securom vm vs. 'true' clean cracks... im of the opinion that the crack should be free of the protection and not use portions of it etc.. but then, im a purist...

exactly...

Shub-Nigurrath

"ar team stuff"

just for completeness: arteam not ar team, well ok it's the same, anyway also: "stuffs" not "stuff". You forgot the VM doc .. :tongue: :laugh:

Edited by Shub-Nigurrath

I always thought a crack was meant to circumvent the protection, I do not see why it matters how that is achieved as long as it works. People inline patch many protection schemes, thats not purifying but no one seems to care. It just sounds to me like another petty 0-day whinge and whine about who's talents are bigger and better, in this particular case making an executable as native as it can be. That part of the scene never ceases to amaze me... :)

Ted.

well i sort of see in that scene (cos i was in it... ) that its a purity thing, the objective of the cracker should be (at least.. in my opinion) to remove the protection completely from the target, making it as close to the unprotected product before the protection was applied...) this removes any potential problems later on when the protection decides to do a sanity/spot check or a hidden trigger etc...

in most cases it IS much much more work, but it does result in a smaller, cleaner exe that's easier to debug and / work with in case a fix etc is needed... inline might be fine for some scenes.. 0day and so on, but even 'loaders' are frowned upon in the game/iso scene.. the rules there are much stricter, possibly because of me in the past ;p... but for any self respecting cracker, to be the best in that scene is usually the driving factor, and making the cleanest, best cracks is a nice challenge in itself... it can become a total pain in the *** when 4 or so games 'come in' in one day and you have to deal with them all.. but of course, if you were good then you'd have made automated tools to remove the protection in a breeze ;)

so, it comes down to professionalism really for me, a cleaner crack is better (for me) than a simple loader / abused protection dump, as it shows the cracker knew his/her stuff more so than the loader/generic crap method cracker, who's cracks i would consider 'unsophisticated, lazy and lame' compared to a cracker who made a totally protection free exe that worked with no flaws... as it (again.. for me) implies the cracker who made the clean executable spent more time studying the protection in detail and understanding every little bit of it....

Edited by evlncrn8

scene wars are due nukes and more better sites,hall of fame.

and due last time there isnt much games for pc. all comes out for consoles. and when i read retards like epic games that say pc games are dead. due gears of war had low sales on pc.

well pc is pc with keyboard and mouse its for fps not gears of war. a game for pad to do stick to wall or obstacle and shoot from there. due in normal fps pad is too slow compare to newest laser mouses. same is with rts. they created thing like ut2007,renamed it to ut3 and isnt what people expected so thats why low sales. and best laugh is that pc is pirated. well xbox360 is more pirated. its easy like hell to get for 20$ dual bios and you can run copies. so far ps3 isnt pirated due blueray writters are expensive. well i can buy bd-rw but i cant get any disc for it. but in 1 year it will change. consoles doesnt have sf,sd,secu. so what problem there to pirate.

next there come toys like usb adapters and you can play your ps3 and xbox games on keyboard and mouse.

and again all console games are rlsed by scene. lamers do iso. what point in downloading from torrent iso of securom if its not proper clone and will not work in daemon tools or 1 pass encode with constant bitrate of some movie,serie. ac3 stripped to mp3 only.